Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lip Swatch! - Wet n Wild Megalast Matte Lipstick - Think Pink 901B

One of my most viewed posts is the swatch extravaganza here.   This post is part of my expansion of that post, in which I swatch each color on my lips!

Think Pink is not my favorite color.  It is a cool-toned pink, and to me, it just clashes with my complexion.  I think this color would work better on either cool tones, or a very tanned person who likes the dark-skin-and-light-pink-lip look.  I keep this color because I like it for lightening up a dark lip color.  It will take a very dark plum color and turn it raspberry.  For me, it's just a small step away from mixing white into a dark lipstick.  In any event, I have found a use for it so I keep it in my collection, but on its own, I don't like the color on me.

First, bare lips.  I prepped them with a thin application of Lansinoh.  As with other nude colors, I find the need to remove as much excess balm as possible before applying the lip color.  Otherwise, the color will collect in creases and clump on rough spots.  I exfoliated too roughly today, and ended up with an uneven lip surface:
Now, a thin layer, applied by gently patting the color to my lip, straight from the tube.  This color is very opaque, but a thin layer is not going to be enough to block out all of your natural lip tone.  However, a thin layer does look pretty, and if I am wearing this color alone, this is the point I stop applying it.  I left half of my lips bare for comparison.
Next is another layer, applied straight from the tube, It's important to completely fill in your lips when using a nude color, because otherwise the rim of the lip shows, and it looks weird.  At this point, the application starts to become difficult.  Because the color is so different from my natural lip tone, it starts sliding around and gathering in my lip creases and starts to cling to rough spots. It starts to look patchy, and I have to keep applying it and mashing my lips together until I get a reasonably smooth layer.  Once the lipstick starts to dry, this patchy tendency goes away, and the layer looks a lot more even.:
Next is full lip.  I applied directly from the tube to the bare side, and I just kept patting on the layers until my natural lip color was completely covered and the patchy tendency stopped.  Like every other nude I have tried that travels far away from my natural lip tone, there is that a clear point where the lipstick ends and my natural lipcolor begins.  It ends up looking kind of streaky.  But, I'm going on the assumption that not many people are going to be close enough to my lips to see it, so I try to not let it bother me.  Be aware that photos are easy to criticize, so keep that in mind if you will be photographed wearing this.

Here is a full-face shot, to give you a better idea of how it works with skin tone.
First, no lipstick:
Now, with just that first layer:

Now with full strength:
And one more, but this time I've blotted it on a tissue:
Like the other Megalast colors, this formula is very nice.  It feels creamy and smooth when you apply it, and doesn't dry out like many matte lipsticks do. The color will stick around for hours.  I have found that adding a gloss on top doesn't seem to affect the wear time.

However, like the other nude, light colors, this one tends to look streaky and clumpy if you are careless when applying it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog hun. Maybe follow each other?
    Let me know what you think.
    toothfairygardy.blogspot.gr
    Maria
    xx

    ReplyDelete